Zhou Guanyu uninjured in scary crash at British Grand Prix

Placeholder when loading item promotions

Zhou Guanyu was stretchered from the Silverstone circuit in Northamptonshire on Sunday after a serious crash on the first lap of the Formula One British Grand Prix.

The 23-year-old Alfa Romeo driver team reported that he was conscious and had been evaluated and discharged from the county medical center. “There are no breaks,” the team said. “Given the circumstances, he’s doing pretty well.”

Zhou shared a smiling photo and offered an update of her own on Twitter. “I’m fine, all right. [The car’s roll bar] Halo saved me today. Thank you everyone for your kind messages!”

Zhou’s car skidded over the gravel and overturned over the safety fence, landing upside down after a collision involving Mercedes’ George Russell, among others, who immediately exited his car and sprinted to Zhou’s car. Zhou, whose protection ring served its purpose, was eventually pulled out and taken off course on a stretcher in an ambulance.

Russell, who received mechanical assistance after the crash, was also out of the race.

“First of all, the most important thing is that Zhou is okay.” Russel tweeted. “This was a scary incident and credit goes to the Marshals and medical team for their quick response. I’m obviously disappointed to end the race like this and feel sorry for the team and the fans. cheers [teammate Lewis Hamilton] out of the garage.”

Williams’ Alex Albon and Alpha Tauri’s Pierre Gasly were also involved in the crash. Both drivers sought treatment at the medical center and Albon, whose car hit the wall, was taken to a hospital for further evaluation. Zhou and Russell left the race. Esteban Ocon and Yuki Tsunoda, also involved in the affair, got repaired and returned to the starting lineup.

Onboard video showed Gasly trying to get into a gap between Zhou and Russell moving to the left. Gasly’s front right touched Russell’s rear left, sending his Mercedes into Zhou’s car.

Zhou is the first Chinese driver to compete in Formula 1.

Formula 1 officials also said several fans tried to enter the track after the accident. “We can confirm that several people attempted to enter the track after the red flag,” the organization told the BBC. “These people were removed immediately and the matter is now being dealt with by local authorities.”