Charlotte Hornet’s restricted free agent Miles Bridges has been charged with domestic violence stemming from an incident earlier this week, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed Friday.
That LAPD posted on Twitter Bridges was arrested Wednesday and charged with a domestic violence warrant for “intimate partner violence involving injury,” a felony, following an incident two days earlier in West Los Angeles.
He was released on $130,000 bail and has a court date on July 20. The LAPD said it does not release police reports of domestic violence arrests.
Mychelle Johnson, the mother of Bridges’ two young children, took to Instagram on Friday to post multiple images of what appeared to be injuries and a medical report that read: “Adult victim of physical abuse by male partner; attack by strangulation, concussion; Closed fracture of the nasal bone; rib bruise; Multiple bruises; Neck muscle strain.”
She didn’t mention Bridges by name but wrote on Instagram: “I hate that it has come to this but I can’t stay silent anymore. I have allowed someone to destroy my home, abuse me in every way possible and traumatize our children for life. I have nothing to prove to the world, but I won’t let someone who could do something so horrible be unrepentant and paint a picture of something I’m not. I will not allow the people around him to keep silencing me and keep lying to protect that person.”
Bridges’ agent, Rich Paul, did not return the calls to The Associated Press, and it was unclear if he has an attorney. Attempts to reach Johnson were also unsuccessful and AP could not find an attorney for her.
Bridges, 24, is a restricted free agent who is expected to make big bucks in the free agent market this summer following a breakout season.
The 6-foot-7, 225-pound Bridges was the Hornets’ leading scorer last season, averaging 20.2 points and seven rebounds in his fourth NBA season.
The Hornets made a qualifying offer to Bridges earlier this week, giving them the opportunity to match any other team’s offer sheet. The team said earlier this week – prior to knowing of Bridges’ arrest – that they wanted to re-sign him.
The Hornets released a statement Thursday indicating they were investigating the incident. “We are in the process of gathering more information,” said NBA spokesman Mike Bass.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.