The filmmaker, who was given special access to Trump around the Jan. 6, 2021 riot, told Insider he doesn’t understand why associates of former President Donald Trump said they didn’t know about his film.
Alex Holder spent months interviewing the former president and his three oldest children — Ivanka, Eric, and Don Jr. — as part of a special project documenting the 2020 presidential election and its aftermath.
Last month, most of the footage was subpoenaed by the House of Representatives to investigate the January 6 riot.
The news – first announced by Politico – is said to have taken the Trump camp by surprise. Holder said that’s odd because his work involves multiple people and large cameras, takes up a significant chunk of the Trump family’s time, and involves going to controlled environments like Air Force One and the White House.
“I still don’t really understand how anyone could not have known about this,” Holder replied to Insider.
Holder said he didn’t bother telling people about the project, but neither did he and his team try to hide anything.
“You cannot invisibly board Air Force One, and you cannot invisibly enter the most secure building in the world, the White House,” Holder told Insider.
“We’ve been there several times, we’ve interviewed the three oldest children several times, and of course the President himself three times, so it’s a bit strange that there are people in the Trump camp who say they didn’t know anything about it.” he added.
A spokesman for Trump did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
Shortly after Holder’s footage was subpoenaed, New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman reported tweeted that senior campaign officials were unaware of the project.
“A very small group of people were aware of this documentary project, and many Trump advisors were surprised to see that it existed,” said Haberman, one of the most respected authorities on Trump and his circle.
Rolling Stone also reported that senior officials only found out about the subpoena from the Politico article, with a former top outlet official saying, “What the heck is that?”
Holder told the Hollywood Reporter last month that after pitching his idea for the documentary to the Trump family, they “wanted a game to enter” because they were “very confident of winning the election.”
Last month, Holder said the family hadn’t been promised “editorial control” over the final production, and pushed back after Trump allies told CNN it did.
Holder’s documentary is scheduled to air in full on the Discovery+ streaming service on July 10.